Previous Experience and Requirements:
– Current PPL(H), CPL(H) or ATPL(H)
– Valid Medical appropriate to licence held.
– 50 hours cross-country (min 10 hours helicopter)
Passing grade (70%) on the Transport Canada Instrument Rating (INRAT) exam.
Pass Transport Canada Instrument Rating flight test.
Group 4 Instrument Rating Requirements:
– IFR Ground School
– 40 hours instrument, of which:
– maximum 20 hours simulator
– minimum 5 hours helicopter
Ground School Syllabus:
Personnel Licensing and Training
Instrumentation, Navigation and Radio Aids
Pitot Static System
Pitot Static Instruments
Gyroscopic Systems and Instruments
VOR, ADF, ILS
General Operating and Flight Rules
Airspace Structure, Classification and Use.
Operating and Flight Rules.
Operational and Emergency Equipment Requirements.
Flight Preparation, Flight Plans and Flight Itineraries.
Operations at or in the Vicinity of an Aerodrome.
Instrument Flight Rules.
Air Traffic Services.
Route and Flight Planning.
En Route Procedures.
Canada Air Pilot (CAP) Definitions.
Fundamentals of Weather
Icing, Turbulence, Thunderstorms
Aviation Weather Reports and Forecasts
Weather Maps and Prognostic Charts
Human Factors and Airmanship
Aviation Physiology and Psychology
Pilot – Equipment/Materials Relationship
1. Basic Instrument Review
2. Automatic Direction Finder (ADF/NDB)
3. Very High Frequency Omnidirectional Range (VOR)
4. Distance Measuring Equipment (DME)
6. Approaches and Missed Approaches
7. Air Traffic Services (ATS)
9. IFR Cross Country